Advertisement
Donald Trump
WorldUnited States & Canada
Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea
After South Korea declined to help denuclearise Iran, Trump said the exercises are costly and send a ‘hostile’ signal to North Korea
2-MIN READ2-MIN
9
Listen
Associated Press
Published: 6:29am, 17 Aug 2026
Updated: 7:29am, 17 Aug 2026
US President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea after the Republican president said South Korea declined to help denuclearise Iran
Trump said in a social media post that the exercises scheduled to begin this week are costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful” while Trump has been in the White House
“Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!” Trump wrote
A spokesman for South Korea’s defence ministry, when asked about Trump’s post, said: “We will proceed as previously notified and scheduled.”
The 11 days of exercises involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers were designed to strengthen readiness against North Korean threats
US and South Korean forces were expected to practice joint operations in complex situations, including a live-fire exercise to test joint precision targeting and manoeuvre, a wet gap crossing, and distribution of pre-positioned military equipment, according to the US military
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
0.8x
0.9x
1.0x
1.1x
1.2x
1.5x
1.75x
00:00
00:00
1.00x


